Hi the instructions might be a little bit confusing but you can ask me anything.
The topic I have chosen is ”Should the government always try to prevent a monopoly occurring in a market?”
However, my college said the essay has to answer these questions:
1. What is your question and why did you choose it? (I have chosen the question already its the one above)
2. What concepts, ideas and models in Economics (ECON0002) could you use to help you answer this question? Explain what the concepts/tools/models are and why they are useful for this question. You should aim to refer to at least two different concepts/tools/models. Use the glossary from The Economy. (Econ0002 is my pure econ module, i will send the link to this book so you can use it. Remember you have to use any two theories/models/concepts from this book to answer. So far the units i have done are unit 1-17,19,22)
3. What concepts or tools that you learnt in Mathematics (ECON0010) and/or linked to the Leibnizes and assignments of ECON0002 do you think you could use when applying these Economics concepts, ideas and models to your question? Explain what the concepts or tools are and why they are useful for this question. You should aim to refer to at least two different mathematical concepts or tools. (Same as above you have to mention two math concepts that i have learnt that can be applied to the argument. You dont have to explain the concecpt just say why the concepts can be used in the case. I will send you the year 1 maths topics i have learnt)
4. What kind of data or evidence would be useful to have to answer your question? You should think across Economics (ECON0002), Applied Economics (ECON0004) and any relevant optional or elective modules. Be as specific as you can about the evidence that would be useful but again note that you do not have to find the data for this exercise. You should aim to mention at least two different types of data/evidence that you think would be useful. (i will send you the topics of econ 0004 as well)
5. Considering what you have learnt in Statistics (ECON0005), Applied Economics (ECON0004) and any other relevant optional or elective modules, how might you try to analyse the evidence if you had it? Please explain as clearly as possible what statistical or econometric approach you would use. (i will send you the the topics)
6. Have you heard of or read about any other economists, or someone from another discipline, who has looked at this or a similar question in any of your modules this year? If your answer to this is yes, briefly mention one person that you have read about, or whose work you have read, and provide a brief summary of what they said. If your answer to this is no, comment on why you think this might be the case.
SORRY THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE CONFUSING BUT PLEASE FOLLOW THEM. ASK ME ANYTHING. Word limit (1000 – 1500)
Website to my ECON0002 – https://core-econ.org/the-economy/book/text/0-3-contents.html
(only units 1-17,19,22)
Topics I have learnt in ECON0010 – Vectors, linear dependence and independence. Matrix algebra.,Systems of linear equations, Gaussian elimination, reduction to echelon form. Inverse of a matrix. Determinants, Quadratic forms.
Topics I have learnt in ECON0004 – Introduction to data, economic modelling and econometrics, the regression model and OLS estimator, properties of OLS estimator and hypothesis testing, multiple regression and functional form issues, causality, experimental and quasi-experimental evidence, consumer demand, consumption and saving, employment and Minimum Wages, labour supply
ECON0005 – Introduction and Describing data, probability, conditional probability, independence, Bayess rule, discrete Random Variables, continuous Random Variables, Sampling and Sampling Distributions, Point and Interval Estimation, Hypothesis Testing, Simple Linear Regression
REMEMBER WHY THEY SAID PICK TWO THEORIES YOU DONT HAVE TO USE THEM JUST EXPLAIN WHY COULD YOU USE THEM IN ANSWER THIS TOPIC