INTERPERSONAL MOVIE PAPER DIRECTIONS
Communication and Relationships in Film
You are to select a film and examine several theories of interpersonal communication discussed in your text to see how they are portrayed in film. The focus will be on how communication is used to initiate, maintain, and terminate relationships. The film will serve as a vehicle for learning about interpersonal communication and relationships. You will analyze what the film has shown about the ways people relate to one another.
The paper should be 3-5 pages long, with a bibliography of at least two sources. Your textbook can be one of the sources. DO NOT go under two and a half or over four and a half pages. Your analysis should focus onissuesofcommunication,incorporatingmaterialfromthereadings,youronlineassignments. Youwill need a strong introduction and a conclusion in this paper as well as identify three or four points (concepts) that you found most enlightening, controversial, or even possibly incorrect. You will be expected to discuss what individuals did, what happened, and why. Relevant communication theory and text material should be introduced for each example. You should write this paper as if you were going to demonstrate your expertise and knowledge to an individual that has little or no knowledge of communication theory. That pretend reader should learn a lot from reading your paper.
The paper should be 3-5 pages, word-processed, double-spaced, 12pt Times New Roman font, with a cover page. You must cite the course textbook using MLA formatting. When saving your document, include your last name and the assignment, and save as either a Microsoft Word file (.doc or .docx) or a Rich Text File (.rtf).
Submit this paper in the appropriate assignment drop box in Blackboard by the deadline.
1. Recognize the components of the communication process and the types of communication in which human beings engage (one-on-one, group and public speaking).
2. Students will recognize and accommodate gender and cultural differences in communication settings and appreciate diverse communication styles.
3. Students will describe the role of free speech in a democratic society and be able to critically evaluate and analyze the message and delivery style of public speakers.
By completing this assignment, students will be able to:
1. Define intimacy and describe a range of options for conveying intimate messages.
2. Analyze the themes of a close relationship using both Knapps model of relationship
development and the dialectical model.
3. Explain the different conflict management styles.
4. Distinguish between constructive styles and methods of dealing with interpersonal conflict.
5. Analyze both Verbal and Nonverbal communication in relationships.
6. Apply the communication process and perception in interpersonal relationships.
The great news is that interpersonal communication can be tied into many chapters that we have already discussed in the course this semester.
Some topics you might choose to discuss:
Perception in interpersonal relationships.
Models of Communication
Theses of a close relationship using both Knapps model of relationship development and the
Conflicts in relationships and the methods and styles of dealing with interpersonal conflict.
Select as many concepts/theories that apply to the film. Do not hesitate to go beyond and think outside of the box. As you watch the film, you may want to take notes and have your textbook handy.